How to become a CHAMP Coach
Coaches register through SportSignup:
- If you want to coach, you must follow the coach requirements/process before completing the registration. See below
- Upon approval, log in to your/player/family account or set up an account.
- Choose the sport you want to coach and be sure to check the Practice Availability Chart before you begin.
Coach Requirements & Process
- Submit the Background Check form, does include Articles of Faith CHAMP agreement. You may fax, email, or mail to Calvary.
*Background checks are good for two years - check to see if you are due for a renewal.
Mail: Calvary Church, Att: CHAMP
5801 Pineville-Matthews Road, Charlotte, NC 28226
Fax: 704.341.5420 Att: CHAMP
- Set up an appt. with the Director of CHAMP. You may email the CHAMP office to do so
- Upon approval, complete the online application
- Attend the mandatory coaches training/breakfast as scheduled. >MORE
- Attend End-Of-Season Celebration >MORE
- 4 coed soccer instructional league - All head coaches must be a member/regular attendee of Calvary church. If you are not a regular attendee/member you may sign up as an assistant, we still ask you to come in for an interview and meet with CHAMP staff.
- Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ according to the Word of God (John 1:12; Romans 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Coaches involved in CHAMP must be an active participant in a local church
- Must maintain a Christ-like attitude
- Continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of God (both in and out of church)
- Must follow the overall mission and vision of CHAMP Sports Outreach
- Represent a healthy family situation
- Desire to impact children and families through Bible Huddle Time
- Have a basic knowledge of the sport and be willing to learn
- Must be 18 yrs. + to assistant coach
- Must be 21 yrs. + or over to head coach
- If younger than 18 yrs, you may still may be an assistant coach; however, you will be prohibited to hold practice/coach a game alone - you will be paired with an older experienced coach.
- Set a Christ-like example
- Take the initiative to form relationships with players, parents, and other coaches
- Always encourage, never discourage
- Focus on sportsmanship, teamwork, and Christian principles rather than winning
- Organize and plan fun practice sessions
- Help players develop and improve athletic skills
- Train assistant coaches and encourage parent participation
- Be early to games and practices
- Check email on daily basis
- Communicate with parents and players, both on and off the field
- Understand and adhere to the "Rules of the Game" for your sport
- Attend required meetings & training workshops
- Do not place a person in authority without getting approval from the CHAMP office
- Promote and participate in all events and "end-of-season celebration"
- Keep the CHAMP theme — "Christ Honored Always in My Participation"